Electric cars in Nepal are gaining much popularity day by day. This can be credited to increasing capacity of battery or mileage range of electric cars and clearance of old dogmas attached with it. Also, government facilitation in tax and finance has helped to boost the electric cars market in Nepal. While actual cost of production is high for companies to manufacture these electric vehicles (EV), however, price in Nepal is comparable to that of diesel or petrol vehicles. There are both pros and cons of buying a electric car in Nepal, which are explained below along with price of existing electric vehicles (EV).
Pros and Cons of owning electric cars in Nepal
Many people may not be aware of all the benefits of owning the electric cars in Nepal. Therefore, we have summarized the main benefits, which are listed below:
- It helps to control air pollution and keeps environment clean as it don’t produce any emissions.
- It doesn’t have many movable parts like that of diesel or petrol cars. Therefore, electric vehicles (EV) require less maintenance. In fact, EV hardly requires any routine changes of spare parts. It saves your pocket in each servicing you do.
- The cost of fuel is very less in electric cars compared to petrol/diesel cars. Research shows that electric vehicles can cost Rs. 1-4 per km, while petrol/diesel cars in Nepal normally cost you well above Rs. 10 per km.
- You don’t have to pay any yearly road taxes for electric cars in Nepal.
- You can get better financing facility with lesser upfront down-payment.
- Though you can get electric cars with range above 350km per full charge, there is still issue regarding the charging stations in Nepal. Charging stations aren’t readily available like petrol stations.
- Most brands of electric cars can be easily charged at your own house, but it takes larger time (4-12hrs) to recharge it full. For small commutes within city area there shouldn’t be much hassle. But for longer trip, you have to make sure you don’t run out of charge while in road or you may have to wait long hours before your vehicle is charged up again.
Electric car price in Nepal
There are various brands of electric cars available in Nepal. However, we have listed price of only mainstream brands of cars in Nepal. This includes:
|Electric cars in Nepal||Price|
|Hyundai Ioniq EV (100KW)||Rs. 55.96 Lakhs|
|Hyundai Kona EV (100KW)||Rs. 55.96 Lakhs|
|Hyundai Kona EV (150KW)||Rs. 65.96 Lakhs|
|Kia Niro EV||Rs. 66.90 Lakhs|
|Kia Soul EV EX-I||Rs. 56 Lakhs|
|Kia Soul EV EX-II (Sunroof)||Rs. 58 Lakhs|
|MG ZS EV||Rs. 49.99 Lakhs|
|Peugeot Partner Tepee – EV||Rs. 55 – 60 Lakhs|
Please note that above price is subjected to change and is for reference purpose only. Kindly contact respective brand distributors to get the latest showroom price.
Note: Electric car price list was last updated during March, 2020.
Apart from these brands, Mahindra, BYD and TheeGo also sell electric cars in Nepal.